PTE Academic reading writing fill in the blanks practice exercise PTE Academic reading writing fill in the blanks practice exercise. Below is text with blanks. From the boxes given below, choose the correct word for each blank to complete the text.
1. Read the passage and answer the following question.
When ________ began on the Eiffel Tower, 125 years ago, many Parisians were far from enamoured, describing it as a ________ monstrosity that robbed the French capital of its beauty. But as the Paris marks the 125th anniversary of its construction – launched on January 26, 1887 – such reservations have long been forgotten. Built between 1887 and 1889 as the entrance arch for the Exposition Universelle – a world fair marking the centennial ________ of the French Revolution – the tower was originally meant to stand for 20 years, after which time it was to be dismantled. However, the wrought iron lattice tower located on the Champ de Mars survived thanks to its communications ________, and went on to become one of the world’s most popular monuments, ________ millions of visitors each year. Nicknamed “la dame de fer” (the iron lady), the Eiffel Tower has inspired singers, poets, painters and filmmakers, while miniature Eiffel Tower souvenirs sit in millions of ________. around the globe.
1. trouble,work,assignment ,project ,task
2. useless, worthy, valuable, priceless, useful
3. jubilation, Ceremony, journal, celebration, competition
4. worth ,value,damage,loss,cost
5. inspiring,Alluring ,attracting ,distracting ,flailing
6. families, Locations, households, places, cities